Monday, July 11, 2011

I Need Your Help!!!

I know this is probably jumping the gun since we are still waiting on an inspection but Kyle and I are under contract on a house.  This house is in a GREAT neighborhood and we got it for a GREAT price.  The only problem is, it was built in 1988 and when you walk into it you step back into your scrunchy wearing, bangs teased, t-shirt tied to the side, 80's self.  If we keep an open mind and are willing to do just a little updating this house will be fantastic.  Now this brings me to my problem.  The living room has a fire place.  I love the feature but there is a monstrosity of a mirror adorning the top.  This mirror is HUGE and would be very hard to take down. 


It doesn't look as bad in the pictures but I assure you it is an 80s nightmare!  Yes I am aware that the fan is terrible and will be replaced immediately I promise.  So imagine this... all hard wood floors, the bump outs on the fire place will be encased in real wood... and a beautiful new color on the walls... yet to be determined.  We will be doing something else with the tile around the fire place, possibly stone and adding a fun mantel.  But the question remains... what oh what to do with that mirror!  Kyle thought we could do something like paint latus ( a high end, chunky fun design ) and put it over the mirror so you could see some of the mirror through it.  I think this could be good but I am looking for any other suggestions... Lets get creative Peeps!  So, please please please give me any and all ideas... we are stumped!  Keep in mind taking it down may result in the loss of my husband so we are trying to avoid it :)

On a side note I found this adorable shop on Etsy the other day... a mommy's dream shop!  Snuggly Monkey. 


http://www.etsy.com/shop/snugglymonkeyco 

This shop is just so darn cute... I mean look at the name!  If you get a chance check out her adorable ouchie pouches.  The mommy in me says that I HAVE to have one!  I think they might be the cutest idea EVER.  Don't you remember when you were a kid and you fell down and all you wanted was an ice pack?  I mean, most of the time you didn't really need it but you still wanted it.  Well this is the cutest solution ever!  I might just have to get one of these for little miss Luci Rae!  Check out her shop if you have time :)

10 comments:

  1. What about a decal on top? There are some decal shops on etsy. I don't think it's bad. You can retro it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the house!! My hubby and I just signed a contract for a house too! Greatest feeling ever =). This may be way more trouble than it's worth, but there are a lot of cool wall stencils on etsy, and I think it would be kinda of cool to use those to paint over it in like black or white paint. This one is especially pretty: http://etsy.me/ph5U7n
    Or the vinyl wall art things. This would look really pretty too:
    http://etsy.me/q9QQ02
    Then it just becomes a really pretty work of art above your fireplace. =)

    www.sroskillydesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the house! That is so exciting. What about getting a funky, cool wooden design (I am thinking Asian style) to put in front of the mirror allowing the mirror to be the background?

    Thanks so much for featuring my shop and your kind words about my Ouchie Pouches! I am so honored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE all these suggestions!! Thanks:) If I had my way I would have a huge vintage door or amazing art work up there but that just gets complicated. haha. I will have to run it over with the hubby an see which idea he likes best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the house! As for that mirror... you could always just paint over it. Like, completely cover it up. Just pretend it's part of the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could try to "frame it in, so it looks like a huge mirror, and then antique it...
    http://www.hgtv.com/bedrooms/how-to-antique-a-mirror/index.html

    or you could use chalk board paint on it! There is a new chalk paint out that is in different colors, then you could do a decal on top each season since you are so artsy! (annie sloan chalk paint is FAB)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe hang a large fiber art piece over the mirror? (You could either install hooks for a hanging rod in the ceiling, or span a rod between the side supports.) Some of my favorite Etsy quilt artists are: CarsonToo, nhquiltarts, uniquelynancy, Daintytime, and Knitknat. Congrats on the house!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the pictures it looks like there's a wood frame around the mirror. Can you attach wood from that frame & just cover it up completely? I am thinking a large sheet of wood over the top, with decorative molding & paint or stain the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. See, this is why I get opinions!!! So many cool options to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently saw this idea on one of my blog perusing mornings...This girl inlaid some textured wall paper into her mirror (covering up the mirror). It is pretty cheap ($10-15/roll @Home depot) and it's paint-able. You could paint it a fun accent color and then use some of your handy dandy RL glaze to make the texture pop. Then maybe hang a fun accent piece (an R, a piece of art, etc) over top? Or get an old window (I know someone that acquired some recently;) and hang it there...Or just invite me over for a weekend and we can tackle it together!

    ReplyDelete