Tuesday, October 25, 2011

DIY Diaper Cake

I have gone to a few baby showers lately... ok a lot of baby showers (I think my friends and I are going to cause the next baby boom!) As many of you mommies out there know, you go through a lot of diapers in that first year... A LOT. So, along with a gift I like to bring a pack of diapers. My friends did this for me at my baby shower and I literally didn't have to buy diapers for the first 5 months of Luci's life... a huge life saver!

I used to just bring a box of diapers and call it good. Then I learned how easy it is to make a diaper cake, so now I like to bring one of these with a few little goodies hidden inside. Here's how:

Get 3 different sizes of pie pans. I already had mine laying around, but you can buy these bad boys at Goodwill for under a dollar.  Fan out the diapers (white side out, I used Pampers) along the edges of the pan.  Like so:


Fill in the center with more diapers, or other fun goodies. You could add bottles, or blankets, or whatever you feel a new mommy can't live without.

Put a rubber band around the whole thing and pull it out of the pan.

Repeat this process with the other two sizes of pie pans.

Next, decorate the outside.  I used receiving blankets to cover the rubber bands, but you can just use plain old ribbon if you don't have blankets. Also, you can attach pacifiers, teething rings, rattles, etc to the outside using string if you want.

I just taped the blankets around each tier and then added a ribbon.  Attach the three tiers using a dowel through the center, or if you don't have a dowel, a little tape goes a long way!
Instead of diapers, I filled the top tier with a fuzzy blanket.

So there ya have it.  This took me less then 10 minutes to do!

Hope you all have a happy Tuesday.

Pin It




2 comments:

  1. Very cute, and a diaper cake is a great gift. I know all too well about going through diapers, and it was pure joy to see a box or bag of them walk through the door. Very easy project, and cute, too! Plus, I like all of the endless options. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a mind-reading genius! I"ve been wanting to learn how to do these for years and couldn't ever figure them out. Thanks for this adorable tutorial! PS You rock!

    ReplyDelete