Monday, February 20, 2012

Bench of My Dreams

I am so sad to report that I did not take a before picture of this amazing bench. Let me paint the picture for you. Scratched up dull caramel wood and a checkered green and white bench seat... BARF. It was so ugly, but, like my mother, I have a thing for benches.

I had my hubby put some screws in to make it very stable and then got to work on a face lift. This is going to sound strange, but I have not painted any furniture black... ever. I guess I never even think to use black.  Well, after reupholstering the seat with burlap I decided that it needed something dark to make it stand out.  I decided to use a flat black to make it look more vintage and to play off of the texture of the burlap.  I sort of fell in love.  It was such an easy fix and I LOVE how it came out.



Mmmmmmm Burlap...




My only regret is not taking a before picture.  Oh well.  

I love the black and burlap together.  Sometimes I forget that simple can be really pretty.  

Keeping It Simple








4 comments:

  1. I love benches and would love to find a few for our house. I'm not big on black furniture either, but sometimes when I see it I like it. This looks great with the burlap, and yes, simple looks great in this case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a thing for benches too. I have an old piano bench in my house that has no purpose other than I love it. It still needs a makeover though, gold velvet and medium wood stain is not a good mix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a new blogger, I'm terrible at remembering to take before photos. But your "after" is so fantastic, it doesn't even matter! Great job! Visiting from the Tatertots & Jello party!

    -sara @ applestonedrive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete