Saturday, March 16, 2013

Perspective



have been absent lately.  Not just from this blog but from life in general.  It is for a good reason, or should I say the best reason possible. Let me start from the beginning.  

Let me preface this post by saying I am sharing this story because it has changed my perspective on things and I know there are TONS of women who can relate. I have found countless people who have been in this situation.  It seems like more people then not to be honest, and knowing I wasn't a freak of nature made it a little easier.  

It all started when I was pregnant with Luci.  She was small throughout the pregnancy and I wasn't gaining enough weight.  She was healthy and so was I, we just needed some fattening up.  I was on a diet of shakes, french fries, and cheeseburgers but I only managed to gain 20 pounds... and it was work!  I lost the baby weight fast too.  Like super fast.  A month after having Luci I was back to my pre baby weight, but it didn't stop there.  I chalked it up to breast feeding, stress, and a SWEET metabolism. I basically thought I was one of those women that all other women hate.  You know the one, that girl that can eat cake every day and still manages to loose weight.  I wasn't going to complain.

Well, when I quit breastfeeding after Luci was 9 months old and continued to loose weight I was a little confused.  I mean, I literally hadn't seen the inside of a gym in a year and I was now 20 pounds under my pre baby weight.  You guys, I was literally 105 pounds.  That is not pretty, let me tell you.  About a year after Luci was born my sister (a P.A. and concerned family member) came to visit me.  She took one look at me and said, you look like CRAP!  That week she convinced me to go see a doctor.  Reluctantly I made the appointment.  After alleviating the obvious fears of cancer, lupus, a HUGE tape worm consuming all of my calories, the doctor diagnosed me with Hypothyroidism.  Yep you heard me right.  HYPO not HYPER. I know this is counter intuitive.  One of the symptoms of hypothyroidism is usually weight gain.  Well, my numbers were off the charts.  The normal levels of TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone)are between .4 and 4.  Mine was 34.  Apparently when most people are diagnosed with this their levels are slightly high, not 34. The Dr. explained that after Luci was born, and possibly during pregnancy, I had developed HypERthyroidism.  During the year after she was born it continued until my thyroid just quit.  It had enough and up and quit on me, leaving me with HypOthyroidism.  This explained the weight loss and why I was still SO tired even though Luci was sleeping through the night. 

Apparently this is a pretty common thing.  Tons of women develop hypothyroidism after pregnancy.  The good news, some of the times the thyroid goes on vacation and then comes back.  It just one day decides it is ready to work again.  This isn't the case with every person but I can keep my fingers crossed.  Meanwhile, it just means a small pill every morning and $4 a month. There is no threat of death, or my hair falling out, and it sure as hell beats a huge tape worm in my stomach.  I was relieved to say the least.

Unfortunately and very very fortunately the story doesn't end there.  Part 2... and the BEST part comes next.  

I would like to state that I am not a medical professional.  This is just my story.  I am telling it because it is a happy one with a VERY happy ending. I have met countless women in my shoes that don't get the same results.  Mine is just a story of hope... and maybe a little bit of faith:)


3 comments: